Friday, December 18, 2009

CHAPTER ONE: Meetings are like a secret fight club...


I look at my watch and it is 2:42 pm as I am sitting in a board meeting at the office. Let me give the visual of what it is like sitting in a board meeting. Most have sat in on some kind of meeting before and know how they operate. Our meetings can sometimes be referred to as a gladiator event of epic proportions. There are sometimes peasants being fed to the lions and weaker souls having to battle for their lives in the arena. The sounds of laughter from my colleagues would be the sounds of the crowds that fill the cold stone Colosseum to watch someone be devoured by a man-eating lion. Yes, that is a pretty close description of what ninety-five percent of our meetings are like. Ahhhhhh, the corporate world of lust and greed. I use to love a good meeting and the feel of walking out from behind closed doors as the office minions coward behind their cubical walls wondering...wondering who was going to be the next one to battle for their job and who would take one more step up the company ladder.

Sometimes we would have meetings just to strike the fear of our authority through the work place in order to keep everyone in check.

I knew what my reputation was to those that leveled below me and I honestly did not care. I worked long and hard to grow a tough exterior and I was not going to let the ones that did not like me bring me down. It only made me stronger, colder and more heartless.

As I sat in the board meeting realizing that the hands on my watch were ticking backwards I looked around the massive table. The sounds of Artie Kreger voice became softer until it was no more. Artie Kreger had worked for the firm for ten years and was a prime example of a man sleeping his way to the top. Artie started with the firm while still studying fashion. Our firm works with both the fashion and entertainment industry. We take small what are considered "mom & pop" businesses and grow them. We take them from nothing and make them something. We are known on the streets to be hardcore with a 'don't get in our way' attitudes.

Artie was brought on board to be one of our insider moles. He was to be nothing more then a source that penetrated to mix and mingle with our enemies. The moles would work to get the dirt on them and then we would make their world very unpleasant. But, before you knew it, Artie was attending meetings, going to events that only executives attended. Then there were the parties and the all on the arm of one of the firms CEO's. Artie was not stupid. As a matter of fact, he used what we had taught him to his advantage and now was co-directing our marketing department under the guidance of moi.

When I first found out that Artie was transferring again and this time to my department, lets say I was not the happiest of campers. However, over the years we have built a alliance. An alliance that might even mean world domination. OK, maybe not to the extremes of world domination, but we could definitely take on the City in way that could rewrite history. Artie and I masterminded some of the firms greatest take-overs all in the company of tasty Thai and scandalous Shiraz. We would map out the map our teams objective and then using our stealth like ninja moves, we would have them signing on the dotted line before they knew what happened.

The Marketing Team was designed and developed with only being the leader in the city. Losing was not and has never been an option in my department. Being second means you are not number one and that means you do not work for me. Heartless? Sometimes. Ruthless? Yes. Like it on top? Always. Let them see you cry? Never! At least that how I had felt. something was changing and I am not sure what and I was not certain why.

No comments:

Post a Comment