Friday, December 18, 2009

CHAPTER TWO: Words Speak Louder Then Actions


Even with Artie's voice in the far distance and my daydreaming session left me wondering why I was having the odd feelings, I was dying in the meeting. I just wanted it to be over. I didn't care what Suzie Q at Loserville was doing and who was pictured on their target. I flipped my day planner to a empty page and I started making notes. Actually the notes seem to flow from someone else hand and not my own. I started making a list of items in my life. The list started with my loft. My home that I had lived in for the past eighteen years. Then I placed a dollar sign with a question mark next to it. I then listed my car, stocks and other investments with a note to contact Charlie, my CPA. Why? What in the world was I doing? Better yet, what I was planning?

Before I knew it I had a pretty impressive list of all things that were important to me in my world. Even though I was nervous about the list and the direction I might be going, I knew that there was a very good explanation for all of this. I was just waiting for the mail room guy to bring a secret letter that had all of the answers. I continued glancing at the meeting room door as if he was going to actually come through it surrounded by a golden ray of light as he handed me the letter with all the answers. My daydreams might be getting a little over done.

Suddenly Artie's voice was getting louder. Then my name. How long had Artie been calling my name? I could feel the look of uncertainty on my face as I looked at him. I shook my head and apologised for not paying attention. A light gasp could be heard from each and every person sitting in the room. Apologizing was not something I did, let alone in a room full of witnesses. I just did something that I had not done since I was seventeen and I totalled my parents car trying to beat the clock before the big hand struck midnight.

I was racing home from my best friends Allison, where we a little to wrapped up with our boyfriends and I lost track of time. I floated through a stop sign as a car with the right of way t-boned me and my parents vintage 1957 seafoam green Thunderbird. A simple phone call to my parents before I left my friends house would prevented the last time I would ever say sorry for anything that happened in my life.

The gasps echoed in my head as I politely asked Artie to repeat what he had asked of me? "Artie, forgive me, I was thinking about the Anderson account and I must have fallen into a void. What did you say?" Artie raised an eyebrow and sat there as if slightly stunned and then said, "Grace, we need to call a meeting with Briggs and Kelley and see if they are going to sign our revised contract or if we need to apply more heat". I wrote Briggs and Kelley in my day planner and circled it several times. "I will take care of it as soon as I get back to my office", I assured them.

I looked up and could feel the uncomfortable feeling exerting from the room. What...did...I...just do? What was happening? Who shifted the planets and knocked them out of line?

Whispers were coming from a couple of them at the end of the table. Feeling as if I had stabbed the person next to me, I grabbed my items and excused myself from the meeting. I made a mad dash down the hall and into the washroom. I didn't even take the time to go to the executive washroom. I found an empty stall and hurried in and slammed the door behind me. I dropped my planner and other items to the floor and sat down on the toilet. With my head hanging, I placed my elbows on my knees and cradled my head in my hands. Again, I asked myself what was going on? Why the list? What was the plan and why was I even making it? At this point, the meeting was over and I need to get to my loft and try to figure out what was turning my world upside down before it was to late.

No comments:

Post a Comment