Thursday, January 21, 2010

CHAPTER SIX: Merri-Go-Rounds, Swimming Holes and Jeeps


Middlefork, Indiana.

Well, it's a start. I jotted the location down and walked back to grab the dart. With all three darts in hand I closed my eyes and sent one dart sailing across the room taking aim on Hardin, Montana and Burlington, Colorado and Russell, Kansas. I walked back to the dart board and grab them again, but not before writing down the names of the cities from that round of play.

The next round was the same. Cities I had never heard of in states I had never visited. In total I rounded up twenty-five destinations. Now, the next step was to plan. Plan on where I was going and to create a trip itinerary. However, this was not going to be an itinerary but a journey to see what I had been missing all of these years. I wanted to play with the local kids and ride a merri-go-round until my stomach was in a twisted knot. I wanted to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at the neighborhood diner. Pick my vegetables from a garden and fresh flowers from a vendor in the city market. I wanted to swing from a rope and plunge into the warm swimming hole.

As I collected my places I thought about what was I going to do when I arrived? My first thought was to hop on the Internet and see what each place was know for and learn about the places of interest. Then I thought that would be the easy way out. Instead, I thought about keeping a journal of my travels and learning about each place once I arrived. The best part about the adventure would be the surprises that laid around every corner. One thing that I knew for certain was that when I left each place and made my way to the next spot is that I would feel and be welcomed like I was a local. I missed my home and all that it had to offer as a kid that I was going to make sure that each place would feel like home so I would never be lonely again. I was going to let the locals be my travel guides and storytellers.

With my list of all twenty-five cities I went back to the map and started tacking up colored push-pins. Next, just like I was back in grade school I took some yard and looped it starting in New York City and made my way to the end. As I stood back and looked over my journey, I was slightly intimidated but eager to start this grand adventure. Excited about seeing things I had never seen, hearing stories that could not be taught in school and smelling scents that will leave lasting memories.

Now, came the difficult part of the adventure. How was I going to give work my two week notice and then sharing my news with the rest of the world? How many of my friends would think I had lost my mind. Most likely all of them. I was not going to let them get to me with their words of insanity. Instead I was going to be strong and not let them get to me.

I needed to find someone to lease my loft so i would not have to worry about selling my household belonging and the loft. I knew a couple of people that I thought might be interested and would give them a call in the morning. Then I would need to figure out exactly how much money I had to take with me. I would talk with Phillip, my money guy and see what accounts I could close. I had enough money in the bank to not worry and selling my car was going to help out as well. I would have one credit card just in case but, I wanted to pay cash for anything I could. Not only was this to be the trip to renewal, but that if simplicity. Something I have never had in my life.

Since I had a couple of weeks, I posted my car online to see if I could avoid selling it back to the dealership. This way I could get more money from a private sale them giving that money back to the dealer. During this time I would be able to look for a car to buy for the journey. What was I going to want? A Jeep. Yeah, that is exactly the way to travel and feel the freedom. A red Jeep was top on my list.

As I continued to create my list and all that I was needing, a companion came to mind. But, not the companion of the human kind. One of the canine kind. A trip to the humane society would be the perfect solution for finding my companion. This might be the only companion that will have ever know that will truly understand me.

No comments:

Post a Comment